As we grow old, our bodies begin to decline physically, eventually affecting hitherto simple functions like immunity, mental acuity, reproduction, physical strength, stamina, and endurance.
Thankfully, a regimen of medication comprising of drugs and supplements can help prevent or dampen the effects of any par-for-the-course senescent diseases. Geriatrics is the treatment and administration of these medicines and At Home Senior Care in Newton, MA, has specialists with years of active experience ready to care for your loved ones.
What is Senescent Medication Management?
In the simplest terms, medication management for seniors entails all of the processes aimed at supervising and overseeing the dosage and function of medicines and their consistent administration and results tracking. It’s the meticulous process of ensuring that the right drugs are taken at the correct dosages, at the right time, and to the intended effect.
While many of the drugs for seniors come with highly informed prescriptions, strict medication management has to be enforced to ensure that these prescriptions are followed.
Book an appointment with At Home Senior Care to see how we can care for your precious loved ones.
After taking a medication regimen for a while, seniors often begin to feel that they are “fine now” or begin to miss the occasional dose. These, and many more, are a few of the additional reasons why medication management is essential.
Helpful Tips for Medication Management for Seniors
Whether you’re an experienced senior care specialist or an individual with aging loved ones, here are a few tips you should follow to manage their medication correctly:
- Make sure that the medication is stored in a cool and dry place for an optimal shelf life
- Gather all of the medications like supplements, OTC meds, and vitamins in one consolidated location for easy tracking.
- Start and maintain an accurate medication list, including dosage, administration frequency, medication purpose, etc.
- Look out for symptoms of negative drug interactions.
- If you can, always endeavor to sort medications ahead of every week for easy administration.
- Using a smartphone or tablet, set up a repeating medication reminder.
- Plan ahead of time for all medication refills and prescription updates.
- Study and understand the likely side effects of each medication.
- Take extra care to help patients with mental health conditions like Alzheimer’s and Dementia with their medication.
- Whenever the senior is entrusted with administering the medication themselves, make sure the instructions are very clear.
Remember, our home care agency in Newton, MA, is ever-present and on-call to help guide you through the rigorous process of caring for your loved ones. Give us a call today for experienced, professional advice and home care services.